Often clients I see with abnormal bladder functioning are unaware that they have it. After a discussion of how the bladder should normally work, we often uncover bladder problems. So what exactly is ‘normal’ bladder function?
What Goes In, Must Come Out
Let's start with what and how much you should be drinking. WATER!! You should drink about 1.5 liters of water a day. Another tip is to reduce caffeine, which is a common bladder irritant and often contributes to abnormal peeing habits. What other habits should you be examining? What exactly are normal habits?
- Peeing 5-7 times a day, and once at night if you're over 60
- No leaking with laughing, coughing, sneezing
- Don't pee "just in case" you don't know when you'll find the next bathroom (so common in NYC!)
- No dribble as you stand up from peeing
- No pushing to get all the urine out
- No pain
If you leak when you laugh, cough, sneeze you may have stress urinary incontinence which is resolvable. If you can relate to "just in case" urination, you may have over active bladder. Pelvic Floor therapy can help can address these issues and gently help you with lifestyle modifications that are impacting your problem. Contact us and we can help!